Production Assistant (Seasonal) APPLY NOW
POSITION SUMMARY: We are seeking full-time Seasonal Production Assistants to help across departments. Seasonal positions may have the option to become permanent in the future, depending on our company needs and mutual interest in extending the position. Our normal working hours are Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm; preferred schedules will be coordinated on an individual basis and dependent on hiring needs. Candidates should have excellent communication skills, strong attention to detail, be able to proactively and creatively solve problems, and uphold high quality standards.
Brooklyn Candle Studio is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of any protected characteristic, including race, national origin, religion, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, lawful alien status, ancestry, age, marital status, or protected veteran status. We strongly encourage women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+ individuals, or anyone from a historically underrepresented community to apply.
Prospective employees must be authorized to work in the United States. All potential and current employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This means two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Offer letter is contingent on proof of vaccination.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES include but are not limited to:
- Performing all tasks under the Production department, such as:
- Preparing wicks and putting the wicks into the appropriate vessels, while maintaining accuracy and precision
- Pouring candles by hand and by using equipment, while maintaining production pace and keeping a clean workstation
- Labeling and cleaning candles by hand and by using equipment, while maintaining product integrity with aesthetic care
- Regularly perform QC checks to confirm quality standards are met
- Assisting with tasks under the Shipping departments, such as:
- Receiving freight shipments of supplies from our building's loading docks
- Safely using a pallet jack to maneuver freight shipments in our warehouse
- Assisting with packing, barcoding, and palletizing orders as needed
- Proactively contribute to keeping personal workstation, department area, storage spaces, and common areas clean and organized
- Keeping production supplies (labels, boxes, wicks, vessels, etc.) organized and easily accessible for warehouse inventory
- Keeping finished goods inventory organized and easily accessible for shipping
- Contributing to cleaning and organizing common areas
- Proactively report low raw materials stock or finished goods inventory to Production Manager
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Warehouse environment, temperature controlled
- Able to stand on feet 8+ hours a day
- Able to regularly lift 50+ pounds, sometimes overhead
- Able to regularly kneel, bend, and squat
- Able to regularly climb a ladder and lift overhead
- Able to regularly push, pull, and carry heavy objects
- Vision: Able to read data and a computer screen
- Hearing: Able hear co-workers, delivery drivers, and workplace visitors
- Sense of Smell: Ability to smell is necessary for quality checking
- Equipment Operation: use of pallet jack, air compressors, and production machinery (no prior experience required)
MENTAL & PSYCHOLOGICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Comprehension: Understand and retain directions
- Reading/Writing: Excellent reading/writing skills
- Speaking: Communicate effectively with co-workers, delivery drivers, and other workplace visitors
- Decision Making: Use advanced problem-solving techniques and possess strong critical thinking skills
- Attention to Task/Detail: Laser-sharp attention to detail, ability to stay organized, and multi-task
- Interaction with Others: Able to interact with others in a positive and friendly manner
DESIRED TRAITS & QUALITIES:
- No minimum education is required; a bachelor's degree may be an indicator of capacity for this position
- 1+ years in a production preferred; or other similar physically demanding, fast-paced, and detail-oriented role
- Ability to develop and maintain positive internal and external working relationships with a diverse group of individuals; a team player but also able to work just as well independently
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, and Slack
- Comfortable with basic math skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and sense of urgency
- A no-job-is-too-small attitude
- Willingness to adapt to changes in the daily workflow
- Bilingual, but not required
- Knowledge of UPS, FedEx, USPS practices
- Previous experience using a pallet jack and/or packing large pallet orders
- Openness to learning new skills across departments
TO APPLY: Please include a resume and brief cover letter detailing your interest in the position and any relevant work experience. Due to a high volume of applications, only complete applications will be considered.
THE INTERVIEW PROCESS:
- The hiring team will review applications on a rolling basis. Candidates we are interested in moving forward with will receive an email inviting them to schedule an initial video interview. The initial interviews are conducted via GoogleMeet and take about 30 minutes.
- Following the video interview, we offer in-person trial shifts to candidates we think may be a good fit for the position. The trial shift is paid at our starting hourly rate of $18/hr and is scheduled for 4 hours. The trial shift is meant to give candidates an opportunity to see our space, meet the team, and get a feel for what an average day in the role would look like.
- After the trial shift, the hiring team will follow up within two weeks with our hiring decision.